Over the last few years I have shared bits and pieces of my medical struggle with several people. My fight has been mostly a silent one but as I anticipate a surgery next week that is nothing less than a miracle, I felt like I wanted to share some of the fun details of my journey if not for anyone else, then for me.
THE ACCIDENT


As some of you may know, I injured my neck Snowboarding in college. I have been battling debilitating pain in my neck and head for about 8 years now. Eight surgeries later (all in the last 9 months), I am finally getting a permanent implant put in my head to control the disc/nerve pain in the occipital area of my head. The device is an Advanced Neuromodular System (ANS) or neurotransmitter that is remotely controlled. It is fairly new and is a product and requires personal from St. Jude Medical for the trial and permanent placement of the device.
HOW IT WORKS
They place small leads (a combination of wires with sensors at the ends) in my head next to the nerves supplying feeling to the damaged discs in my neck. They run the wires inside my body from my neck, down my back to the device that is inserted in my hip/butt area about an inch deep. I have a remote that turns on the device by waving it over the implant. The ANS holds programs that send signals to the leads (sensors) in my head. When I am in pain, I turn on the device and I feel a prickly sensation in my neck and head. It numbs the pain completely. I can leave it on 24/7 if I want or turn it off when I want don't feel pain anymore. It is a pretty amazing thing. I am not restricted to any activities when I am fully healed as long as there is no complications or infection.
THE BIG DAY
Next Tuesday, March 9th, I am finally having the implant put in. I have waited so long and I can't believe that I am going to be able to live life without so much pain and all the medication and surgeries that go with it. Through the years I know that the Ashley that so many people knew changed a bit through this rough time. I had times when I felt good but I also had times when I was angry, depressed, and medications side effects altered my mood. Things have been a lot better the last few months as I have found peace and strength within myself with constant love and support from my sweet husband Scott, my parents, brothers and sisters, and my Heavenly Father. My sweet mother is flying in to help Scott take care of me and the boys.
'I GOTTA FEELING'
I have hated hospitals and doctors for so long because I always left with feelings of hopelessness. I wondered if I would ever be able to live without constant pain haunting me. This are about to change. Instead of dreading it, I am counting down the days until I finally get the surgery I have been waiting years for. I got a feeling that next Tuesday is going to be a great day! Don't get me wrong, this surgery is going to kill! But after the swelling in my head and neck and the 3 incisions heal...I am gonna be a new woman.
THE LIGHTER SIDE
I will be back as soon as I can to let everyone know how everything went and what the new me feels like. Scott is very excited to write an article on one of his Tech sites about how his wife is "Bionic Woman" and I can't wait to set off all the metal detectors everywhere I go!
I know that was a lot and haven't been one to "journal" online but this is a super important time for me and my family and I wanted to share it with my family and friends!
The boys are great and sweeter then ever. Daniel is my little caretaker during the day, asking me every time he sees me wince or lay down, if I am feeling okay. They are pretty hard to keep up with but I love them to pieces. Just look at 'em! Daniel has a freakish resemblance to "McDreamy" aka Patrick Demsey...just look at those locks! Archie is my drama queen spaz! Who needs a girl when they have beautiful little Archie. But don't worry he is all boy, just DRAMA!
I just look at my family and wow! I can't complain!
4 comments:
OH MY HECK!! Ashley, you look so incredibly amazing as always. I sure miss you and can't wait to come out. You are in our prayers and I hope the surgeries goes Well. Talk to you soon.
We lOVE you!- Hendersons
I love the post! Thank you for he update... I have been thinking about you and checking your blog daily. So, I was so happy to see you are still alive and well. You look great in those pictures, and I look forward to hearing about your new life as it begins! Please email me more details of the hospital location and so forth. I would like to keep up with you!
I can't imagine dealing with chronic pain. And with kids. Good luck with your surgery!
Ashley,
Oh my! wow, what an adventure. It all sounds so scary yet, I am so excited for you. Once it all said and done and you don't have any more migraines. I'll try to call you soon. Hopefully before surgery. Good luck!
Post a Comment